Labels

Monday 13 December 2010

RESEARCH: Applying Media Theories

Goodwin's Theory

Where I will apply Goodwin's theory in the planning of my music video, is via links between music and visuals. As my piece is concept based there will be no strong tie between lyrics and visuals (unlike Arctic Monkeys When the Sun Goes Down, which follows a clear narrative, and the story told through the lyrics is amplified by the visual narrative.) Therefore to make sure my piece conforms to typical conventions of a music video, I will edit it so that the shots compliment the music. For example, when the music increases tempo, the cuts will be quicker to mirror this. Similarly when the song reaches it's peak in both tempo and volume the cuts will amplify this to emphasis the clear tie between the music and visuals.

Which of these is objectifying women more? (The image of Snoop Dogg in Drop it Like it's Hot being waited on by a scantily clad dancer, or the strong, confident dance routine of three women in Beyonce's Single Ladies?)

Another important characteristic of Goodwin's theory, is the 'male gaze' which usually resonates in the objectification of women. This is applied more to the genre of RnB or Hip Hop, however it can be more subtly applied in indie music videos. For example often all male bands will have women dancing in their music video, though perhaps not provocatively, it still captures the 'male gaze' consequently the characteristic could be applied to my music video. As I plan for much of my piece to follow a female dancer, in this sense I am utilising this particular convention of music videos. However where indie videos tend to differ in the use of female dancers from RnB or rap videos, is that the women often do not appear in shot with the artist. Subsequently this gives less of an impression of women being objectified and moreover the dancers appear powerful and in control. I aim to recreate this idea in my video, with a change of costume. At the start the dancer may appear to conform much more the the characteristics of the 'male gaze', in a white outfit, dancing in a much less self assured way. Whereas by the end of my piece she will be dressed in black, and be a much more commanding presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment