Labels

Sunday 27 February 2011

EDITING: Filler Shots


I filmed shadow puppets and another sequence of shots of a girl to use as 'fillers' between the dance sequence. I used the shadow puppets to further the light/dark imagery, and also to keep the video playful, as I felt the dance routine alone may bog down the video into a purely serious piece, whereas Arctic Monkeys' videos usually have a tongue in cheek element (for example their Cornerstone video which features solely Alex Turner serenading the camera). I felt that, though the dancer is the protagonist in my video, it needed to contain another person to avoid monotony, therefore I decided to film, mainly still shots of a girl in a white dress. The reason for the simplicity was so I could experiment more freely with the lighting, without the images becoming distracting by too many elements. For example I filmed most of the shots with the light on one side of the face to cast a dark shadow across the other side, and hint at another side to the girl/meaning to the image.

Another interesting element of lighting at this angle was that the shadow that formed looked like a completely different/detached person, and thus hinted to a sinister undertone. Therefore on some of the shots the light is being moved from aimed straight on to cast no shadow, to the side so that the audience can see the shadow forming as though it has taken on a life of its own. In these instances I had to speed up the footage, so that the clip would fit within one second, whilst still allowing for movement of the shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment